Saturday, November 29, 2008

Nablopomo: Is it over yet? Pumpkin Cake!!


While I was whipping up my pumpkin chiffon pies (my contribution to Thanksgiving dinner, as I really hate sticking my hand up a turkey's ass, and pretty much refuse to do so), I was left with too many whipped egg whites. Can you imagine? And in the fridge, I had some yolks.
And about 3/4 can of pumpkin left.
So I made up a little layer cake, whipped up some delicious vanilla swiss meringue buttercream, and took it all with me to our friends' three hours north.
The cake was great - moist, firm but light, dense enough to hold up to a perfect petit four, but light enough to taste more cake-y than muffin-y. Since I was working with leftover ingredients, I made two round layers which were a bit thin, but the cake would do well as a single layer cake as well.

Pumpkin Cake
3 eggs, separated (this step is not necessary; I was working with leftover eggwhites)
3/4 can pumpkin
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup canola oil
1 & 3/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

  1. Mix egg yolks with pumpkin, sugar, butter and oil
  2. Add combined dry ingredients, mix well
  3. Fold in egg whites
  4. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes for 2 round layers.

No comments: