Sunday, November 02, 2008

Supergirl's Medicine

A few weeks ago, I explained to Supergirl that my Uncle Bill was dying. He was diagnosed with terminal cancer about a year ago, and sadly, we knew the end was coming soon. She wanted to make him a card, and I said that was a great idea, so she headed up to her desk to start on it right away. Suddenly, I was overcome with the reality that I had always been quite frank with her and she has a different understanding of death than most people.
((OMG))
"Supergirl!" I 'calmly' called up to her, "Uhhhh....honey....I don't think you should....aahhhhh....please don't....Don't say anything about him dying. You know. Write something cheery."
"Mommy," she said, disgustedly, "I would not write something uncheery!"

So, she drew a picture of our family, inserting him right in the middle:



And then she wrote a very cheery message inside. It was so cheery, it even surprised us! I asked dh, what did he think of that? He said that he thought it would accomplish its intended purpose: The Cheering.


When my uncle received the card (and the book we sent along), he loved it so much that he shared it with everyone who came to visit. It definitely did cheer him up, and did so repeatedly, as each guest would get to chuckle over it again.


Uncle Bill died peacefully this morning.

We are all sad to lose him

He was soooooo special to us.

7 comments:

Elle said...

I'm so sorry for your family's loss.

The card is PERFECT...I'm sure it was a wonderful, bright light for your uncle :) What a sweet girl you have.

Anonymous said...

That card is amazing. I am sure it made everyone smile. Supergirl is a very special girl to write something like that.

And hugs babe, death sucks.

fairymama said...

I'm sorry for your family's loss and Supergirls card is absolutely perfect.

RuthWells said...

Kids are amazing. I'm sorry for your loss.

Mama Deb said...

Hugs to you guys. I love that Supergirl wrote that. I, being a big advocate of dishing out the love to elderly relatives, think that her doing this is a sign of a beautiful, little soul :)

I can't find my blog said...

So sorry-My prayers to you all for peace during this difficult time.

Sounds like Supergirl got it right.

Julia said...

I am late to this, but wanted to say I am sorry for the loss of uncle Bill.

Glad Supergirl was able to bring him some cheer. Her picture looks a lot like what my daughter would draw, though I can't be sure mine wouldn't actually write about dying if not warned ahead of time. Heh... I hope not to need to test that for a long while, though...